Personal information Full name İsmail Köybaşı Date of birth (1989-07-10)10 July 1989 (age 32) Place of birth İskenderun, Hatay, Turkey Height 1.79 m (5 ft10+1⁄2 in) Position(s) Left back Club information Trabzonspor Number 23 Youth career 2003–2006 İskenderunspor 2006 İskenderun Kartalspor 2006–2008 Gaziantepspor Senior career* Years Team Apps (Gls) 2008–2009 Gaziantepspor 25 (0) 2009–2016 Beşiktaş 111 (2) 2016–2019 Fenerbahçe 37 (2) 2019–2020 Granada 4 (0) 2020–2021 Çaykur Rizespor 20 (3) 2021– Trabzonspor 7 (0) National team‡ 2008 Turkey U19 1 (0) 2008 Turkey U20 2 (0) 2009–2010 Turkey U21 6 (0) 2009– Turkey 23 (0) * Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 19 July 2020
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 27 March 2017
Born to a family from İskenderun, Köybaşı had begun to play football for İskenderunspor, a local club. Köybaşı started out as an attacking midfielder, but moved to left back after recommendations from his colleagues. He briefly played for another local club, İskenderun Kartalspor, before joining Gaziantepspor in 2006.
Köybaşı began his professional career in the youth divisions of Gaziantepspor. On 6 May 2008, he signed his first professional contract. He featured in 24 matches with 21 starts during the 2008–09 season. At the end of the season, he was linked with the big four clubs of Turkey, choosing Beşiktaş in the end.
Köybaşı joined Beşiktaş in June 2009 for a fee of €6.5 million, as well as an exchange of two Beşiktaş players. He began playing with the team during pre-season friendlies, and made his competitive debut in a Super Cup match against Fenerbahçe on 2 August 2009. In November 2009, he provided the assist to Rodrigo Tello's goal in a 1–0 victory at Old Trafford against Manchester Utd in the Champions League. It was the first time since February 2005, spanning 23 games, that United had lost a group stage Champions League fixture at home. He scored his first league goal against Ankaragücü in December 2009.
In September 2011, he provided two assists against Bursaspor, one from the free kick when Tomáš Sivok scored with his head in the 87th minute and the second with a cross to Filip Hološko who also scored with his head in the 90th minute securing the victory of 2–1 in an away game.
On 14 July 2016, he signed a 3-year contract with the club.
Köybaşı has featured for Turkey at U-21's level, where he gained five caps. Köybaşı was called up to the senior national team by Fatih Terim for a friendly match against Ukraine on 12 August 2009. He won his first cap, replacing Arda Turan in the 86th minute.
As of 15 May 2016.
- Gravela, Lorenzo (2012). SOCCER WORLD 2011/12. Lulu.com. ISBN 978-1-4710-0438-4.
- "10 numara sol bek: İsmail Köybaşı" (in Turkish). tff.org.tr. 5 January 2009. Retrieved7 February 2009.
- "İsmail Köybaşı paylaşılamıyor!" (in Turkish). milliyet.com.tr. 21 May 2009. Retrieved2 July 2009.
- "Beşiktaş İsmail Köybaşı'nı transfer etti". goal.com.tr (in Turkish). 24 June 2009. Retrieved2 July 2009.
- "Beşiktaş İsmail Köybaşı'yla Anlaştı" (in Turkish). spor.haberler.com. 16 August 2008. Retrieved5 October 2008.
- "Beşiktaş:0 – Fenerbahçe:2" (in Turkish). bjk.com.tr. 8 February 2009. Retrieved10 August 2009.
- "Süper Kupa'nın sahibi Fenerbahçe oldu!" (in Turkish). miliyet.com.tr. 9 February 2009. Retrieved10 August 2009.
- "Man Utd 0–1 Besiktas". BBC Sport. 25 November 2009. Retrieved25 November 2009.
- Köybaşı signed contract
- "Comunicado | El Granada CF incorpora al lateral Köybasi" [Announcement | Granada CF sign the full back Köybasi] (in Spanish). Granada CF. 29 August 2019. Retrieved31 August 2019.
- "İsmail Köybaşı İlk Kez A Milli Takım'da" (in Turkish). bjk.com.tr. Retrieved10 August 2009.
- "Millî Takım'da Önder ve İsmail sürprizi" (in Turkish). zaman.com.tr. Retrieved8 August 2009.
- "Squad announced for Ukraine friendly". Turkish Football Federation.
- "Ukraine 0–3 Turkey". Turkish Football Federation. Retrieved12 August 2009.