S afe Sex Directed by Thanasis Papathanasiou
Written by Thanasis Papathanasiou
Starring Anna Panayiotopoulou
100 minutes Country Greece Language Greek
The film features an ensemble cast of Greek actors portraying various characters, each living his own story in modern Greece. Almost everyone of the protagonists is interrelated to each other, and all live their own parallel stories which often converge at several points. Several professional actors appear briefly or in non-speaking cameo roles.
As a result, there is no central plot or prominent protagonist who may be singled out. The major theme of the movie is sex and each character's approach to it, portrayed in a comedic way.
- Anna Panayiotopoulou as Rena Drouga
- Mina Adamaki as Chloe
- Alexandros Antonopoulos as Apostolos Drougas
- Vaso Goulielmaki as Vivy
- Haris Grigoropoulos
- Renia Louizidou as Anna
- Spiros Papadopoulos as Fedon
- Evelina Papoulia as Mary
- Tasos Halkias as Antonis
- Viki Koulianou as Veronica
- Arietta Moutousi as Kaiti
- Pavlos Haikalis as Kostas
- Ieroklis Michailidis as Vardousis
- Sperantza Vrana as Roberta
- Andreas Voutsinas as Audition Director
- Tzimis Panousis as Priest
- "Safe Sex". Greek Film Archive.
- Baltruschat, Doris; Erickson, Mary P. (2015). Independent Filmmaking Around the Globe. University of Toronto Press. pp. 122–. ISBN 978-1-4426-2683-6.
- Kennerley, David (November 2005). "My Big Fat Greek Tragedy". Gay City News.
Their first feature, “Safe Sex,” which took an unblinking look under the covers of a myriad of sexual liaisons, gay and straight, was a worldwide phenomenon in 1999, described by the Encyclopædia Britannica as “the biggest box office success in the history of Greek cinema.”