Strata-East Records is an American record company and label specialising in jazz founded in 1971 by Charles Tolliver and Stanley Cowell with the release of their first recording Music Inc. The label released over 50 albums in the 1970s. Many of the label's releases are now hailed as prime examples of 1970s Post-Bop, Spiritual Jazz, and Afro-Jazz. In all beginnings... a mystical, magic force, What course, what destiny... determined in time. Gil Scott-Heron recorded his 1974 album Winter in America with Brian Jackson for Strata-East. "The Bottle" featured on the album, was a popular single. This album stands as one of the label's best-known recordings.
Strata-East Records Founded 1971 (1971) Founder Charles Tolliver
Genre Jazz Country of origin U.S. Location New York City Official website www.serecs.com
Strata-East Records is an American record company and label specialising in jazz founded in 1971 by Charles Tolliver and Stanley Cowell with the release of their first recording Music Inc. The label released over 50 albums in the 1970s. Many of the label's releases are now hailed as prime examples of 1970s Post-Bop, Spiritual Jazz, and Afro-Jazz.
In all beginnings... a mystical, magic force, What course, what destiny... determined in time.
Gil Scott-Heron recorded his 1974 album Winter in America with Brian Jackson for Strata-East. "The Bottle" featured on the album, was a popular single. This album stands as one of the label's best-known recordings.
|SES 1971||Charles Tolliver||Music Inc.|
|SES 1972||Charles Tolliver||Live at Slugs' Volume I|
|SES 1972-0||Charles Tolliver||Live at Slugs' Volume II|
|SES 1972-1||Clifford Jordan||In the World|
|SES 1972-2||Jazz Contemporaries||Reasons in Tonality|
|SES 1972-3||Composer's Workshop Ensemble||Composer's Workshop Ensemble|
|SES 1972-4||Mtume Umoja Ensemble||Alkebu-Lan: Land of the Blacks|
|SES 19730||The Piano Choir||Handscapes||Stanley Cowell, Nat Jones, Hugh Lawson, Webster Lewis, Harold Mabern, Danny Mixon, Sonelius Smith|
|SES 19731||Brother Ah||Sound Awareness|
|SES 19732||M'Boom||Re: Percussion||Roy Brooks, Joe Chambers, Omar Clay, Max Roach, Warren Smith, Freddie Waits, Richard "Pablo" Landrum|
|SES 19733||Pharoah Sanders||Izipho Zam (My Gifts)|
|SES 19734||Cecil Payne||Zodiac||Kenny Dorham, Wilbur Ware, Wynton Kelly, Albert Heath|
|SES 19735||Juju||A Message from Mozambique|
|SES 19736||Charles Brackeen||Rhythm X|
|SES 19737/8||Clifford Jordan||Glass Bead Games|
|SES 19739||Billy Harper||Capra Black||Reggie Workman, Billy Cobham, Elvin Jones, Warren Smith, George Cables, Dick Griffin, Julian Priester, Jimmy Owens|
|SES-19740/1||Charles Tolliver||Live at the Loosdrecht Jazz Festival|
|SES 19742||Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson||Winter in America|
|SES 19743||Stanley Cowell||Musa: Ancestral Streams|
|SES 19744||The Descendants of Mike and Phoebe||A Spirit Speaks|
|SES 19745||Charles Tolliver||Live in Tokyo|
|SES-19746||Charlie Rouse||Two Is One|
|SES 19747||Dick Griffin||The Eighth Wonder|
|SES 19748||The John Betsch Society||Earth Blossom||John Betsch, Billy Pluett, Bob Holmes, Ed "Lump" Williams, Jim Bridges, Phil Royster|
|SES 19749||Weldon Irvine||In Harmony|
|SES 7410||The Cosmic Twins||The Waterbearers||John Lewis, Ron Burton|
|SES 7411||Muriel Winston||A Fresh Viewpoint|
|SES 7412||Shamek Farrah||First Impressions|
|SES 7413||Charles Sullivan||Genesis||Alex Blake, Anthony Jackson, Lawrence Killian, Alphonse Mouzon, Billy Hart, Sharon Freeman, Onaje Allen Gumbs, Stanley Cowell, Sonny Fortune, Dee Dee Bridgewater|
|SES 7416||Keno Duke/Contemporaries||Sense of Values|
|SES 7417||Cecil McBee||Mutima|
|SES 7418||The Ensemble Al-Salaam||The Sojourner|
|SES 7420||Juju||Chapter Two: Nia|
|SES 7421||Jayne Cortez||Celebrations and Solitudes|
|SES 7422||Composer's Workshop Ensemble||We've Been Around|
|SES 7423||Sonny Fortune||Long Before Our Mothers Cried|
|SES 7425||Charles Davis||Ingia!|
|SES 7430||Shirley Scott||One for Me|
|SES 7431||Harold Vick||Don't Look Back|
|SES 19750||The Piano Choir||Handscapes 2||Ron Burton, Stanley Cowell, Nat Jones, Hugh Lawson, Webster Lewis, Harold Mabern, Sonelius Smith|
|SES 19752||The Brass Company||Colors||Bill Hardman, Eddie Preston, Harry Hall, Lonnie Hillyer, Billy Higgins, Sonny Brown, with "special guests"; Charles Tolliver, Clifford Jordan, and Stanley Cowell.|
|SES 19754||Billy Parker's Fourth World||Freedom of Speech||Cecil McBee, Cecil Bridgewater, Ronald Bridgewater, Dee Dee Bridgewater|
|SES 19757||Charles Tolliver||Impact|
|SES 19758||Milton Marsh||Monism|
|SES 19759||Larry Ridley||Sum of the Parts||Cornell Dupree, Sonny Fortune, Onaje Allan Gumbs, Grady Tate|
|SES 19760||John Gordon||Step By Step||Andrew Cyrille, Charles Tolliver, Roland Alexander, Lisle Atkinson|
|SES 19761||George Russell||Electronic Sonata for Souls Loved by Nature|
|SES 19765||Stanley Cowell||Regeneration|
|SES 19766||The Heath Brothers||Marchin' On|
|SES 7610||The Warm Voice of Billy C||Where Have You Been, Billy Boy?||Charles Davis, Bill Lee, Sonny Brown, Kiane Zawadi, Cliff Lee, Stanley Cowell, George Coleman, Eddie Preston|
|SES 19771||Shamek Farrah and Sonelius Smith||The World of the Children|
|SES 19772||Bruce Johnson and Rodney Jones||The Liberation of the Contemporary Jazz Guitar||Duo|
|SES 19780||John Gordon||Erotica Suite||Lyle Atkinson, Frank Derrick III, John Miller, James Spaulding, John Gordon, Waymon Reed|
|SES 8001||Charles Tolliver||Compassion|
|SES 8002||John Hicks||Hells Bells||Clint Houston, Cliff Barbaro|
|SES 8003||The New York Bass Violin Choir||The New York Bass Violin Choir||Lisle Atkinson, Micheal Fleming, Milt Hinton, Richard Davis, Ron Carter, Sam Jones, Bill Lee, Harold Mabern, Sonny Brown, George Coleman|
- SECD 9001 (Bellaphon 660-51-004) - Charles Tolliver Music Inc & Orchestra - Impact, recorded January 17, 1975, released on CD 1990.
- SECD 9002 (Bellaphon 660-51-002) - John Hicks - Hells Bells, Recorded May 21, 1975, released on CD 1990.
- SECD 9003 (Bellaphon 660-51-001) - Charles Tolliver - Live In Berlin At The Quasimodo/Vol.1, recorded July 21/22, 1988, released on CD 1990.
- SECD 9004 (Bellaphon 660-51-008) - Stanley Cowell, Billy Harper, Reggie Workman, Billy Hart - Such Great Friends, recorded July 7, 1983, released on CD 1991.
- SECD 9005 (Bellaphon 660-51-003) - The Heath Brothers Featuring Stanley Cowell - Marchin' On!, recorded 1975, released on CD 1990.
- SECD 9006 (Bellaphon 660-51-005) - John Gordon - Step By Step, recorded September 22, 1975, released on CD 1990.
- SECD 9008 (Bellaphon 660-51-010) - John Hicks - Steadfast, recorded May 21, 1975, released on CD 1991.
- SECD 9009 (Bellaphon 660-51-006) - Cecil McBee - Mutima, recorded May 8, 1974, released on CD 1991.
- SECD 9010 (Bellaphon 660-51-009) - Charles Tolliver Music Inc & Big Band - Music Inc. & Big Band, recorded November 11, 1970, released on CD 1991.
- SECD 9011 (Bellaphon 660-51-007) - Charles Tolliver Music Inc - Compassion, recorded November, 1977, released on CD 1991.
- SECD 9012 (Bellaphon 660-51-012) - Charlie Rouse - Two Is One, recorded 1974, released on CD 1992.
- SECD 9013 (Bellaphon 660-51-011) - Charles Tolliver - Live In Berlin At The Quasimodo/Vol.2, recorded July 21/22, 1988, released on CD 1992.
- SECD 9014 (Bellaphon 660-51-013) - Larry Ridley - Sum Of The Parts, recorded June 1975, released on CD 1992.
- SECD 9015 (Bellaphon 660-51-016) - Charles Tolliver Music Inc - Live In Tokyo, recorded December 7, 1973, released on CD 1992.
- SECD 9016 (Bellaphon 660-51-014) - Music Inc - Live At Historic Slugs', recorded May 1, 1970, released on CD 1992.
- SECD 9017 (Bellaphon 660-51-015) - Gil Scott-Heron/Brian Jackson - Winter In America, recorded September/October 1973, released on CD 1992.
- SECD 9018 (Bellaphon 660-51-020) - Larry Ridley & the Jazz Legacy Ensemble - Live at Rutgers University, recorded 1989, released on CD 1993.
- SECD 9019 (Bellaphon 660-51-022) - Billy Harper - Capra Black, recorded 1973, released on CD 1993.
- SECD 9020 (Bellaphon 660-51-017) - Clifford Jordan - Glass Bead Games Volume 1, recorded October 29, 1973, released on CD 1992.
- SECD 9021 (Bellaphon 660-51-023) - Clifford Jordan - Glass Bead Games Volume 2, recorded October 29, 1973, released on CD 1993.
- SECD 9022 (Bellaphon 660-51-018) - Pharoah Sanders - Izipho Zam, recorded January 14, 1969, released on CD 1993.
- SECD 9024 (Bellaphon 660-51-021) - Cecil Payne - Zodiac, recorded December 16, 1968, released on CD 1993.
- SECD 9026 (Bellaphon 660-51-019) - Charles Brackeen - Rhythm X, recorded January 26, 1968, released on CD 1993.
- SECD 9028 (Bomba BOM542) - Stanley Cowell - Musa • Ancestral Streams, recorded December 10/11, 1973, released on CD 1996.
- SECD 9031 (Bomba BOM545) - Shamek Farrah & Sonelius Smith - The World Of The Children, recorded April, 1976, released on CD 1996.
- West, Michael J. (May 24, 2021). "Strata-East Records: An Oral History". JazzTimes. RetrievedMay 25, 2021.